Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Jeff's End of 2016 Awards - Part 1

It's good to be back on the blog, been way too long. Well I am here and will be back WAY more frequently.

2016 is (mercifully) coming to an end and while many people would like to forget the year that was, it would be irresponsible of us to not at least acknowledge the wonderful year in video games. Over the next three installments, I will be recognizing the most memorable (for better or worse) games of 2016.

Part 1: Games I Played In 2016 That I Want More Time With In 2017

I am but one man with only so much time and money, so I wasn't able to get quality time with all the games I wanted to this year. Here are five games I put some time into this year that are at the top of my "to-do" list in 2017:

(Keep in mind: the games didn't need to come out in 2016, but I just needed to spend some time with them this year)

1. XCOM 2

I played a live stream's worth of this game earlier this year and besides realizing I suck at these games, I knew I needed to spend some more time to fully grasp all that's going on. I was a huge fan of Enemy Unknown and there is just as much depth here in the sequel. While this game may not have grabbed me immediately like its predecessor, this is still a quality title that I just need to focus more time on.

2. Atlas Reactor

This game is cool. Again, I played a few hours worth of it for a live stream and my interest was definitely grabbed. It's a unique style of game with simultaneous turn-based combat full of depth, visual flair and fun character designs. Plus it's FREE! The community seems to be growing and that's a good sign since this game shows a lot of promise and is something I will be coming back to very soon.

3. EVE Online

Yes, I know this game has been out for a long time, and I have been playing it off and on throughout the years, but two factors have been keeping me from truly getting into it: (A) It takes a considerable amount of time to get all the mechanics down, this is a deep game and (B) It's ANOTHER $15 per month that I just couldn't justify. Well, that second part is now gone since EVE has gone Free-to-Play. This is great, because I did like what I have played over the years, and now the financial burden has been lifted.

4. Street Fighter V

In case this is your first time checking out the blog, I am a fighting game fan. When a numbered Street Fighter game gets released, it's a BIG deal. SFV had a (let's be nice and say) rough launch and that has prevented me from fully getting into Capcom's latest fighter. I did fire this game up recently and bought the Season 1 characters and started getting back into it. The core engine is still top-notch, the game looks great and it still feels like a Street Fighter game. That, coupled with the recent release of Akuma and upcoming Season 2 characters, makes me want to start (hopefully) kicking ass all over again.

5. Axiom Verge

I played about an hour of this during my Extra Life charity stream and that wasn't nearly enough. I am a sucker for "MetroidVania" style games and not only is this a fantastic one of those, it has a striking visual style, a terrific soundtrack and responsive controls. This is definitely a game I can lose hours into if I just sat down and focused, which I plan on doing once the calander flips over.

========================================================================

There you go! Five games that I spent a little but of time with in this recent 12-month span that caught my attention enough to be on my immediate radar for 2017. In Part 2, I will show three games that ended up being big disappointments in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment