Thursday, May 22, 2014

Why Little Mac is awesome!

As the hype continues to build towards the release of Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS and WiiU, the biggest news, for me anyway, was the inclusion of one of my all-time favorite video game characters: Little Mac. Best known as the guy who knocks out Mike Tyson Mr. Dream in Punch Out!, Little Mac finally gets his turn to beat up everyone else and will be the character I use most in the new SSB.

So what makes Little Mac as awesome as he is? Well let's take a closer look at the pint-size boxer who looks a lot like...well, me.



Little Mac made his official debut in Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! in 1987. That game was a home port of the Punch Out!! arcade games and while the player-character was never officially named, he was referred to as "Little Mac" due to his short stature and a play off the McDonald's "Big Mac". Through the NES game you play the ultimate underdog, taking down tall, mean baddies (and Glass Joe) until you beat up the "Baddest Man on the Planet" himself: Mike Tyson. How can you not love this kid?

I suppose it would be a lot harder to love him if Nintendo decided to use his original name: Peter Punch....yuck!

Here is the tale of the tape for Little Mac:

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 107
Age: 17
Hailing from: Bronx, New York

So ok, yes I am 11 years older than he is (though he hasn't aged since 1987), I am a couple inches taller than he is, weigh about 30 - 40 lbs heavier than him, but we do kinda look similar. Athletes look to somebody like Rocky Balboa for inspiration, we have Little Mac. He proved to us gamers that any obstacle can be overcome with work ethic, training, and a sweet pink jogging suit.



Little Mac has appeared in a few Nintendo games, including his appearance as an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii. Now we finally get to play as him in a Smash Bros. game beating the crap out of the rest of the Nintedoverse. I think this is long overdue, which I can attribute a bit to the fact that he hasn't been overused. Sure, Nintendo is all about Mario, Luigi, Link, Peach, Donkey Kong, Samus, etc., but give the little guy his due, he has inspired many gamers (including me) and defined what it means to be an underdog in the face of severe adversity.

Oh and also, he shows you that within every underdog, there is a beast waiting to get out, which you can do in the Wii Punch-Out! and in the new Super Smash Bros. when you release Giga Mac. (Couldn't really call it Big Mac, could they?).

Which brings me to my current dilemma - Now I have a decision to make: Should I be Little Mac for Halloween, or should I go with my earlier idea and be the 10th Doctor? HELP?

Also, don't forget to join the Nintendo Fun Club, apparently Doc Louis seems to really like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment