Friday, August 1, 2014

The "Because It's My Birthday" favorite games of all time: Honorable Mention

It is officially August 1st, which means that THE Jeff of All Games is getting another year older (the "wiser" part is still up for debate, I'd like to think so, though). In the spirit of the birthing, I thought I would count down my top 15 games of ALL TIME (so far, I mean this holiday season may produce some new entries).

Why would I do this? It's my blog, so that's why. I will try to highlight one game a day from tomorrow on, but before I do, I want to mention a few here that JUST missed out on my top 15. Keep in mind, these are my favorites of ALL TIME, so there are going to be fantastic games that won't make the list. I have played A LOT of games, so trying to whittle that down to just 15 was a pretty hard endeavor.

So here we go, let's bring up the 15 honorable mentions on games that barely missed by top 15 (in no particular order):

- Team Fortress 2 - First released October 9th, 2007 (PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Mac, Linux)


I have played many shooters in my years but TF2 is the one I very easily spent the most time with. Between the original launch in 2007 and now, the game has changed in so many ways (including, of course, going free-to-play). Constant updates and support from Valve helped make this game huge and helped it maintain a substantial fan-base. There is always something new with TF2, whether it's a crafting system, new items to acquire, or the pure fact that it's a shooter with damn loot drops, TF2 will always be a game I come back to.

- Star Wars: TIE Fighter - First released July, 1994 (PC, Mac)


Many (including me) consider this to be the best space flight sim on the market. With X-Wing being released a year earlier (and also a success), TIE Fighter took that and made it even better with improved graphics and the fact that you are playing as the freaking dark side!

- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - First released December 3rd, 1998 (N64, PC)


Keeping the Star Wars flying game theme going, Rogue Squadron was a game that I'm sure overheated my N64. I hadn't taken the full plunge into flying games (besides TIE Fighter, of course) and I was still young and appreciating the original Star Wars trilogy, so anything that could put me in the cockpit of a star fighter while jamming out to the Star Wars theme had my interest. It certainly helped that the first Rogue Squadron was a fantastic game.

- Gears of War Series - First released November 7th, 2006 (Xbox 360, PC)


Gears was the game that got people excited for the new Xbox 360. Shooters were going to go in a new direction and the bar was going to be raised on how action games looked and played. Everyone's first reaction to seeing the chainsaw bayonet was "HOLY SHIT!". Luckily, the Gears series fulfilled the hype and turned into a huge franchise, even being used in the same breath as Halo and Call of Duty. You know your game is a real deal when every other 3rd-person-cover shooter is called "Gears of War-like". I would have to say that Gears 2 is my favorite in the series.

- The Last of Us - First released June 14th, 2013 (PS3, PS4)


Naughty Dog has really hit its stride. The Uncharted series is award-winning and an important franchise in gaming, but The Last of Us is a masterpiece. The story telling here was second-to-none and they do a fantastic job of keeping the player hooked into these characters the entire time. While the combat can get a little repetitive and frustrating near the end, that is a small blemish on a game that will undoubtedly be talked about for years to come. Hell, the opening cinematic made me cry a little and I NEVER DO THAT!

- L.A. Noire - First released May 17th, 2011 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)


Rockstar makes great games, period. I have always had an infatuation with the mobster era, The Untouchables, Al Capone, prohibition, etc. So giving me a crime drama set in that era is like Christmas. And, yeah, that whole "our characters look real and their face moves perfectly to what they are saying" worked beautifully. It's amazing looking. You really feel like an old-time movie mob cop and I'd gladly play this again and again. I might even use the black and white filter for added effect.

- Twisted Metal series - First released November 5th, 1995 (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3)


Car combat became a real thing once Twisted Metal was released unto the world. The whole concept of a destruction derby with outlandish characters and weapons made 10 year old me very happy. Plus the fact that it played well and looked great. This trend carried on through the generations of consoles, with Twisted Metal: Black being the standout here. Though I do really enjoy the new one on PS3. Though this game did inspire WWE Crush Hour, so you know...take that for what it's worth.

- Super Mario World - First released November 20th, 1990 (SNES)


The best Mario game ever, period. Deal with it!

- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - First released November 11th, 2011 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)


While Oblivion was a ambitious and awesome game, and with Fallout 3 being an instant classic, Skyrim took the open world game and took it far beyond what people could imagine. This is the epic fantasy game everyone wanted and with mods and Steam Workshop, this game will stay fresh for a long time.

- Ratchet & Clank series - First released November 4th, 2002 (PS2, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, PS4)


Crazy guns, great humor, likable characters, and tight gameplay all add up to a fantastic franchise. I absolutely love the "Future" series on the PS3, and I am very excited for the PS4 reimagining of the original game that will coincide with the release of the MOVIE! I'm in!

- Command & Conquer: Red Alert - First released October 31st, 1996 (PC, PS1)


My entry into the RTS genre (before StarCraft got its hands on me) and a staple of my childhood. I can't tell you how many games of this I played with friends, while of course jamming out to "Hell March". The supremely cheesy cut-scenes helped put this game (and it's sequels) into a special place in my heart.

- God of War series- First released March 22nd, 2005 (PS2, PSP, PS3, Vita)


It's hard to believe that the series will be 10 years old next year. The angriest man in all of Greece has brought us so many memories and brutal executions. These games have always been epic in scale and somehow always satisfying. Damn, it feels good to be a badass. I can not wait to see Kratos on my PS4.

- Sonic the Hedgehog - First released June 23rd, 1991 (Genesis, so many other consoles)


The reason I was excited to have a Sega Genesis. The Blue Blur blew us away with colorful graphics, kick-ass music, awesome sense of speed, and a likeable character. This was made doubly so with Sonic 2, which was my favorite, even though I do always have a soft spot for Knuckles the Echidna. That's it for the series right? They didn't make any other Sonic games after Sega stopped making consoles right?.....right?....:( (Hint: those later games were really bad).

- Saint's Row series - First released August 29th, 2006 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)


What started off as more of a GTA clone with Saint's Row 1 and 2, (with a little more craziness thrown in), the series really took off and became its own thing with Saint's Row: The Third (my favorite in the series). The insanity really ramped up and continued to go overboard with 4. I will always have fun with this series and it's a ridiculous good time. 

- Diablo III - First released May 15th, 2012 (PC, Mac, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)


While Diablo and Diablo II were the beginnings of the genre, Diablo III stands out as the very best. Blizzard's cinematics are the best in the industry, and the bottom line is that D3 is so much fun to play. I threw myself into the game and I am still itching to click and loot and see what new things drop. One of the most addictive games I have ever played.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go! The 15 games that didn't quite make my top 15 list of ALL TIME. There are some real outstanding games here, and I am in no way saying these are bad. In fact, quite the opposite. The best is yet to come though, so soon I will start the countdown of my 15 favorite games of ALL TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment