Monday, August 4, 2014

My Top 15 Games of All Time: #15

Thus begins the countdown of my top 15 games of ALL TIME. Now my criteria for this is simple:

- Any game is in play except for mobile games

- I have to have played it

- This does not mean all other games suck, these just stand out.

Get it? Got it? Good! Here we go!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 - Sid Meier's Civilization V - First released September 21st, 2010 (PC, Mac, Linux)


I had never considered myself a big strategy game aficionado. Sure, there was Red Alert, StarCraft, WarCraft, other RTS titles before, but Civilization is more of a turn-based micromanaging style game, and the early entries seemed impenetrable to me, so younger me never bothered with those. Then Civ V came around and everyone who talked about it had nothing but amazing things to say about it, so I knew I had to give it a chance.

Oh man, that was a pretty great decision.

I remember the first time I booted up the game on release day and thought to myself, "I'm going to rule the world". That is what this game is all about, world domination. The big thing here is that they have made it much more accessible to someone like me (who has never played a game in the series) to jump in and get an idea of what's going on. That's not to say the game is simple (it's not), but Civ V does a great job at guiding you though the mechanics, then letting you have your free will, while always being a click away to advise you on what to do next, going so far as to put little gem icons next to things you should build to lean more towards that type of victory (Space Race, cultural, diplomatic, world domination).


That's also a really cool thing to me. Sure it's been in the previous games, but being able to win in different ways keeps your options open at all times in any given game, you could be trying to get the science edge on your opponents, see that they may be a step ahead, switch to a military focused approach, then wipe them out.

The original game launched with 18 playable civilizations, with 7 more as DLC. With the later expansions (Gods & Kings, Brave New World) adding up to total of 43, which is a lot of content for sure. Add to that, the fact that the game supports Steam Workshop, and the possibilities are endless. I downloaded a mod off there that added the Hyrule civilization with their leader being Princess Zelda, anything is possible.

Going back to the main civilizations though, there is something so appealing about playing as the biggest names in history. Washington, Augustus Caesar, Napoleon, Gandhi, Alexander the Great, etc, and taking them through time trying to be the superior civilization. Also, having the ability to play as someone like George Washington and taking him through the World War eras and firing tanks and bombers at my enemies is strangely satisfying.


There is so much going on in any given game, but the game does a great job of letting you decide how much of that you want to get deep into. There is city building/improving, citizen happiness, resource collecting, a tech tree, religion, lawmaking, etc. The amazing thing is that you can play the game on the surface, or get deep into all the mechanics, and have a great time either way.

Also, these games can go on for a long time and never get old. You can play the same game for days straight and it still grips you and never lets go. Being able to play online adds the human element and adds to the massive scale with so many players vying for the superior civilization.

Also, since I am a sucker for great music, here is the theme from the Gods & Kings expansion:


Then there was this theme from the Brave New World expansion:


Gorgeous stuff here and really adds to the overall feel of what you are out to do in this game.

I have never felt the feeling of "One more click, one more turn, one more click, one more turn" before, but Sid Meier's Civilization V got its hooks in me and left me always wanting to see what's next. Alliances will be formed and broken, cities will be founded and fought over, and it is one of the most addicting experiences you can legally have. I have to play some of this tonight.

....and this is just number 15 on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment