Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Awesome Video Game Music: The Man With The Machine Gun - Final Fantasy VIII

Video games and music go hand in hand, and the really good music leaves you nodding your head even though you don't realize it. In this new segment, I look at some of the best music in gaming. Whether your opinion on the actual game itself may vary from mine, we should at least agree on the kick-ass music.

With that, here is the first entrant:

From Final Fantasy VIII (Release: September 9th, 1999 in North America)

"The Man With The Machine Gun"

Now, I don't have much history with the Final Fantasy series as a whole. My experience stems from a couple hours with FFXIII on the Xbox 360, a few hours with the very enjoyable Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on the PSP, and the first few levels of FF XIV - A Realm Reborn on the PC and soon on the PS4.

I have always known the FF series to have some of the best music in gaming since they have award winning composers, which is why I purchased Theatrhythm Final Fantasy for the 3DS. It's a rhythm game using music from the FF games. Pretty fun and, at least in my case, a way to discover the music that I had been missing.

For me TMWTMG has those hard, driving beats and drums that make you just wanna kick ass, which is why this is music you hear during combat. Maybe it's my drumming background, but I always have a soft spot for a great beat and kick-ass drums.

Listening to all the FF music makes me want to go back and play the games, which I know could consume any and all time I HAD. It will be interesting to see how popular the FF games will be on the Playstation Now service. I might have to take advantage of that.

Oh, and if you have been following my posts, (good for you) I will put this here as well:


Man, he is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment