Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What I Think Of: Titanfall.

Guys, I played a lot of Titanfall yesterday
.
.
.
like A LOT!

Let's say after 60+ games online, 10 1/2 hours, and over 1200 kills later, I wanna talk about it a bit.

You can look back to my thoughts on the beta earlier. Not much has changed, so that kinda gives my initial reactions. I will touch on a few changes that I noticed and things specific to the full retail version.

First off, the positives:

- Guys, this game is badass!
.
.
.
.
I suppose I should elaborate...

- The highs are higher in Titanfall for my personally than with any other shooter I have played. That's not a knock against the other games, that's a glowing compliment to this game.

- They have added new (and useful) burn cards. Such as: double XP, permanent cloak, more lethal grenades, etc. I find myself actually using Burn Cards now unlike the beta.

- Guys, the game is really badass!

OK, now for some things I had issues with:

- That frame rate....whew. I have been playing the Xbox One version (I will pick up the PC version to see how much better that looks) and once the game gets heavy, the frame rate drops to what feels like single digits. Rough in some spots and absolutely great on others.

- Everything is online, including the campaign. Even the tutorial has to hit a server before you can join. This really isn't a remark specifically aimed at Titanfall, but I don't like this "online-only" mentality that is becoming more prominent. Mainly because this, if your internet goes down or if (in this case) EA's servers decide to catch fire, you CAN NOT play the game AT ALL. Maybe I am the only person that that bothers, but I think it's worth mentioning.

- Speaking of the campaign, I am not really sure what the point of it is. In essence, it's the same multiplayer maps, the same multiplayer structure, but with a little more dialogue and more pictures in the upper right hand corner. Guess I don't understand what is so bad about adding some sort of single player campaign to a shooter.

- I wish there was more stuff. Sounds weird to say, but I really wish there were customization options for my pilots and titans, like decals or face paint or something. There also aren't that many unlocks, like weapons and perks. Those perks also don't really seem all that helpful.

All that said, this is still a fantastic game and well worth your time. Like I said earlier, the highs are higher here than anywhere else and I can not recommend this game enough to people who are shooter fans looking for something a little different.

I will be on twitch tonight as I look to hit level 50 and prestige (or "regenerate") for the first time. Join me won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment