Monday, June 15, 2015

Recapping EA's E3 2015 Press Conference 6/15/15


Next up on the conference chopping block: Electronic Arts.



- Right out of the gate, FUCK YEAH! Mass Effect Andromeda. I kinda got a giggle as the applause and excitement sorta faded out when "Holiday 2016" popped up. Bummer.

- "Lohs Angelees" Wonder where that is?

- Star Wars, am I right? You can just say those words and any crowd goes nuts.

- Really good intro here by Andrew Wilson, EA CEO. He actually says "Thank you for playing our games and making us better". He truly means that and it comes across as genuine. Refreshing.

- Next game up: Need for Speed.

- Good trailer, nice weather effects. While I was confused at first to why this series needed a reboot, now I understand. EA wanted to get back to what made the series great to begin with and focus on the racing and lifestyle of a street racer. They want to make this the "definitive" NFS experience.

- Talking a big game: big open world, customization, cops to worry about.

- November 3rd.

- FMV Cutscenes? Please keep these in!

- Oh shit! Was that a seamless cut from FMV to in-game? Wow. Impressive.

- Lots of customization. A little framey at spots but it is a Pre-Alpha build.

- Pretty cool drifting action camera.

- Digging the beats.

- The frame rate on that jump was not so speedy...again Pre-Alpha, can be fixed.

- Looks interesting.

- Next up: Star Wars: The Old Republic, a game I have to keep reminding myself exists.

- New expansion titled Knights of the Fallen Empire.

- 10/27/15 Release date

- The twin knights there? If I shaved my head I would look exactly like that. Maybe I can make some money off this... (joking of course...)

- FREE!

- Hmm, maybe I need to get back into this game. Better find my authenticator.

- Unravel, a new IP.

- Tell me this is like Kirby's Epic Yarn or Yoshi's Woolly World...

- Not only is it a cute looking game, there is a deep meaning and loss of love.

- You can tell Martin is nervous as hell being up there. Either that, or there is an earthquake in California that is only targeting that specific stage.

- I kid, but this is a big deal for him and his team, so it's understandable how nervous he is. Don't worry, Martin, the game looks adorable.

- It's always super interesting to me how game concepts come up, so these pictures of Yarney (I assume that's the spelling) in the real world and as a concept is really cool.

- I like this guy, you think the Shark Tank is nerve-wrecking? Try standing in front of all those people with your game idea, knowing every single word you say is being criticized by journalists, fans, shareholders and bloggers (oh hey!).

- Unravel looks like a delight, in the same respect as a game like Braid or perhaps even Limbo. Interested to see where this goes.

- "Danger Zone", ok, let's do this! POINTS!

- We get to see more about Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, and we get a mascot. Which hits me a little too close to home, can I pursue this career and be a real life video game mascot? Hey, EA...

- I REALLY liked the original Garden Warfare, and the idea of the plants being on the attack really interests me.

- Graveyard Ops is the exact same as Garden Ops, but for Zombies...right?

- New zombie classes being shown, Super Graves (I think?) might be my new favorite. With his tornado punches and hadoken-esque projectile.

- Little framey there...

- and the Imp calls down a mech, sweet!

- Solo and local split screen options; nice touches.

- Character transfer from original game.

- Spring 2016.

- Free content updates!

- Apart from the few performance hang-ups, the game showed well and I look forward to playing it.

- And now for sports!

- NHL with the first look, damn right!

- Mascots making an appearance this year? I have extra love for that.

- Rory McIlroy PGA Tour is shown and is the first to use the Frostbite engine. Looks gorgeous.

- No load times between holes eh? That's impressive.

- Ultimate Team mode is pretty much my go-to for any sports games, good to see they acknowledge that.

- NBA Live 16 up next.

- Improvements to Gameface.

- "Hoop God"...I took him down when I ran that WoW Raid, didn't I?

- 9/29/15 Release date.

- I have had SO many problems with Gameface, hopefully this HD will make it not look like I got drunk making a Mii.

- Live 15 was a step in the right direction, so hopefully 16 will push forward, not sideways.

- "Let's talk about mobile"....aw geez, look at the time...I gotta go...

- Oh geez, Apple Watch apps.

- Amazing games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out....really?

- Another Star Wars card game? Doesn't one already exist? Pretty sure it does. Ah screw it, I'll end up playing it.

- Minions Paradise is going to make a fortune.

- Due out this year.

- Awkward pause, check!

- Pelè is absolutely the best soccer player of all time, so he has the right to sit there and tell you how good he is. He even gets a standing ovation, damn right.

- So hey, FIFA 16.

- I could hear Pelè tell stories all day, he seems like a fascinating man. A living legend.

- Sounds like the bullet points here for FIFA 16 are: we added animations and made the A.I. better. Also sounds like his mic is complete crap.

- Also, you can play as women. It's about time. Very nice touch.

- Looks like your Ultimate Team got a little more stacked with Messi and Pelè cards. Boom!

- The game looks gorgeous and will again be the best selling sports game in the world this year. Still waiting for the year that adds the "Rioting Crowds" feature. You know, like real soccer.

- Hello Sara, how YOU doin?

- Oh Mirror's Edge, of course, *waves at Sara*

- Mirror's Edge Catalyst is the name of this game.

- The original game had a lot of great things going for it. Looking forward to seeing more about this.

- No loading screens? That's a bold proclamation there, Sara.

- This is an origin story. So a prequel.

- 2/23/16 is the release date. So far the first game of 2016 (I believe) that isn't marked as "Spring" or "Holiday".

- The game does indeed look beautiful, I do want to see how it performs.

- bye, Sara ;)

- More sports...this time Madden NFL 16.

- Hey, Robert Flores! I know that guy.

- We are treated to a new mode: Draft Champions. I'm intrigued, go on...

- So it's like Ultimate Team, but there is a draft instead of just getting cards.

- Play Solo or Online. Great, because I don't like going online and getting my shit rocked.

- Once your run ends, you draft a new team and do it again. I like this. Adds replayability.

- Ooooh, sick burn on the Seahawks...

- August 25th release date. Will be the best selling sports game in America.

- Odell Beckham Jr. is a beast, just FYI.

- Peter Moore on the stage.

- The closer: Star Wars Battlefront. Talk to me, Pete.

- "Photogramatry"...that's as bad as "Infotainment"...ugh...

- Side note: A life's dream of mine is to sit down and talk video games with a number of the greatest minds in the industry. That would include Ed Boon, Shigeru Miyamoto, Todd Howard, Hideo Kojima, and Peter Moore, among others.

- Pretty sure Sigurlina has, like, all the letters of every alphabet in her name. Also pretty sure I make that sound every time I get super drunk.

- Kind of hard to hear her with that combination of accent, the monotone delivery, and holy shit that music is loud.

- That's a great looking Luke Skywalker.

- I'm usually in the mood for "Mooltiplaya".

- These screens look amazing, just wish they were in motion, like, a game!

- "That's vat ve are going too doo, lllight now!" YES! Zat is vat I chave been waiting for!

- By the way, I am just poking fun, I'm sure she is a lovely lady and I am glad she is making this game.

- Hey, I thought you were going to show us gameplay right now, instead you show me a picture of the Hoth level. Of course there is a Hoth level.

- "Now...Let's Play...Star Wars". I hope that soundbyte is how every match starts.

- Two soldiers run by, gun comes up...OK I WANT!

- Probably won't write too much about the footage. Because (A) You need to see it for yourself and (B) Holy shit, I am in awe!

- Those explosions look amazing.

- The shots are all about that bass, bout that bass, no rebel...SORRY...

- I will never be able to fly a TIE fighter as well as the demo showed. I'll be lucky to even take off.

- Oh SHIT! Darth Vader!

- OH SHIT PART 2! Luke Skywalker!

- Excuse me...Didn't Luke not have the green saber until Return of the Jedi? Isn't the Hoth fight in Empire Strikes Back? Am I thinking too much? AAAAHHHHH!

- Never mind that shit...there's a saber duel!

- That sound you heard is all the nerds there, and me, having a collective nerdgasm.

- November 17th. One week after Fallout 4.

Wonderful, wonderful showing from EA this year. Lots of great announcements. Great pacing, speeches didn't feel forces, and Pelè. Can not wait to see more of what EA has planned and I want to see more Battlefront.

The train keeps rolling, next up: Ubisoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment