Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Recapping Nintendo's E3 2015 Press Conference 6/16/15

The final day of conferences kicks off with Nintendo. What will they bring to the show? Will we get new Amiibos? More info on Yoshi's Woolly World? Surprise Zelda or Metroid news? Let's cut right to it:


BTW, the conference begins at about 34 minutes into this video. Not sure why all these videos need such long intros. Anywho:

- I love the puppet motif. They did this kind of thing last year and it was very amusing. Plus puppet Iwata is adorable!

- You know puppet Reggie is ready!

- Puppet Miyamoto! This intro is the best at the show.

- New StarFox game? SWEET!

- Nintendo already tugging at the nostalgia strings. This looks and feels like Star Fox 64 but looks great and fast!

- Cockpit view from the Wii U controller.

- Whoa! The planes became amphibious! Or they became a Metal Gear from Metal Gear Solid 4.

- Transform on the "fly"....tee hee....

- Tank mode!

- Hovercraft? Nice!

- Puzzle-solving using the controller.

- "Do a barrel roll!" Pretty much a mandatory phrase when you talk about any game in the series.

- StarFox Zero is the name of this game, due out this holiday. Pleasant surprise! I was just thinking how I wish there were a new StarFox game!

- Great start, Nintendo!

- Miyamoto is definitely on my bucket list of people to meet. One of the most brilliant minds in this industry.

- Ooh, he's talking more about the game we just saw. Hey, Sony, pay attention!

- I hope I can choose whether to use the analog stick or the gyroscope in the Wii U controller to pilot the ship. I don't know how much I want to be swinging that controller around, especially for "evasive maneuvers".

- The cockpit on the Gamepad sounds cool, I will be using that for sure.

- Different transformations, beautiful environments, hopefully multiplayer? Either way, StarFox Zero looks way cool and I'm glad it's coming out this year. (For now).

- So we are going to find out more about "Project NX" next year. At least they acknowledged it.

- Also, I can't wait to go to the Nintendo-themed theme park!

- Super Mario Bros. (much like me) turns 30 this year. I feel like we grew up together.

- Super Mario Maker! Here it comes! Prepare for awesomeness!

- Oh shit! So it can be in the style of the original Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros U, and Super Mario Bros. 3? Fuck yeah!

- So the plural of Amiibo is Amiibo? Ok, now I know. Hey, also, it's pronounced "Mo-yang".

- Donkey Kong, Bowser and their vehicles will be Amiibo and will appear in the new Skylanders game. Nice!

- Looks like they will have a base that can switch between "Skylanders Mode" and "Amiibo Mode" allowing them to be used in games other than Skylanders. Interesting.

- Puppet dance party! Puppet Reggie has moves!

- The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes, is up next

- 3DS game.

- Dungeon crawler with an emphasis on co-op, is this like Four Swords minus one?

- Different attires? Why am I surprised at this?

- "Lucky Loungewear"...I got some Lucky Loungewear too, bow-chicka-bow-wow.

- Also due out this year. Looks pretty cool. Would love to see/hear what the solo experience is like.

- Talk to me about this game. This is a great idea.

- Big emphasis on depth and the "Totem Pole" mechanic where each Link jumps on the others' shoulders.

- Ah, "Supporting Doll Characters" that I can switch between. Thank you for clearing that up.

- Looks to have the visual style of Link Between Worlds, which is a great thing.

- Also, doesn't appear to require the NEW Nintendo 3DS.

- Another new 3DS game? Tell me more...

- Ah yes, I heard about this. A 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors.

- A re-imagining of the Wii U game, with all the DLC.

- Also, new characters and content from The Wind Waker.

- The game is called Hyrule Warriors: Legends. So now we have heard of 3 games launched this E3 with the subtitle of "Legends": This, Fable Legends, and The Elder Scrolls: Legends. #Legends.

- Now we get more info on Hyrule Warriors: Legends.

- I really enjoy Hyrule Warriors for Wii U. It's a lot of mindless, beat-em-up, Zelda fan service. Nothing wrong with that. I will be buying Legends day one.

- They are showing the screens on a NEW Nintendo 3DS XL.

- Maybe I should just buy one of those, huh?

- Pretty sure that was the Ocarina of Time.Or at least A Ocarina.

- Due out first part of next year. I like when I am told (at least, roughly) when a game is scheduled to come out. Again, Sony, take note.

- I would watch a mini series with Puppet Nintendo characters.

- Another 3DS game. I'm on board let's go!

- OH SHIT! Metroid Prime: Federation Force....huh? You had me at Metroid Prime, then I got confused.

- 4 player co-op first person shooter.

- Also includes Metroid Prime: Blast Ball. So is Prime becoming its own thing now?

- 3 vs 3 sci-fi sports battles. You have my interest. I love future sports.

- Looks like you shoot the ball towards your designated goal to get points, quick video, looks interesting.

- Coming next year. Cool.

- Is it time for Fire Emblem? I think so!

- Fire Emblem Fates to be exact, and man, that animation looks so good.

- I should go back and play the last 3DS game huh? Yeah, I should.

- 2016 release window.

- Looks like another great game in the series. Fans should go nuts for this. I will definitely pick it up.

- Time for a weird-ass Atlus game....so, an Atlus game! Score!

- In typical Atlus fashion, I have no idea what's going on, but I am way into it and the music is great.

- ...still don't know, but still interested. Lots on anime happening and people shouting Japanese.

- Anime Power Rangers?

- Is the game called FE? Did I miss something?

- There has to be more to this name, right? I can't just go into a GameStop and ask if they have FE.

- 2016 for FE. I'm guessing Wii U?

- (EDIT) Looks like this is a Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem game. Hence the "FE"

- I will look that up later, for now, Iwata, bananas (yes that trailer was bananas) and now, Xenoblade.

- Oh right, this game. This looks amazing by the way.

- This is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

- December 2015. Yep, day one purchase.

- Animal Crossing news now?

- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer for the 3DS. I REALLY like Animal Crossing.

- So you actually work for Tom Crook, uh, I mean Tom Nook, and are, basically, a realtor?

- OMG that's adorable!

- Cards? Importing characters? Ok.

- You can even design town building. Is this like an Animal Crossing city builder?

- October 2nd, 2015. Very cool. Very cute. Sold!

- Animal Crossing Amiibo! Ah, the cuteness factor is kicking in!

- Wait, wait, wait....is this Animal Crossing meets Mario Party....hmm...

- Ok, there appear to be no mini-games like Mario Party, I feel a little better.

- Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival is this game, I want to see more of this but it looks like a better Mario Party. Holiday 2015.

- Yoshi! Is it time to talk Woolly World? AWWWWWW.

- YES! I want this game. I don't even care if it's not fun to play, I love the yarn/wool aesthetic.

- I can't even hear what you are saying because the only thing in my head is "AWWWWWWWWWW".

- Looks like a great and adorable platformer.

- Solo, or Co-Op mode.

- OMG YARN MARIO YOSHI! I may pass out from cuteness.

- Look at the Samus Yoshi! Getting dizzy....so cute....

- There's a yarn Dog!

- THIS MONTH! June 26th! *passes out*

- New game from Level 5, the Ni No Kuni studio.

- 3DS game! Nintendo going in on the handheld, which is great!

- Is this basically Pokèmon?

- Kind of, but using the combat system of something like Etrian Odyssey. Also a wheel full of these...Yo-kai?

- Using the touch screen to activate abilities, getting cooler.

- Yo-kai Watch. 2016.

- Hey, a new Paper Mario game? Actually, is this Paper Mario mixed with Mario & Luigi? Because that would be pretty rad.

- Hey, it's EXACTLY that!

- Unique puzzles involving both styles of characters.

- Playing tennis to smash an enemy? That looks cool as hell.

- Papercraft Mario! Mega-Mario! Mecha-Mario! Whatever you wanna call it, it looks rad!

- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. is the title. Looks awesome! Sold! Spring 2016.

- NEW MARIO TENNIS! Proper console MARIO TENNIS!

- Now it's GIANT Mario Tennis!

- Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. Due out Q4 2015. The end of this year is getting stacked!

- More info on Super Mario Maker? Come on!

- Why the cat paw?

- How much would I need to pay for a sheet of original graph paper used in the game with Miyamoto's autograph? Like, ALL the money?

- Oh my God! The mystery mushroom wasn't just a clever way to transition throughout the show, it's a feature of Super Mario Maker with Amiibo. Hell yes! Already sold but this is so fucking cool!

- 8-bit Amiibo? Gimme! Gimme!

- Holy shit that thing is huge!

- That booklet looks gorgeous! Also, gimme!

- I never thought of World 1-1 as a tutorial of sorts. See? This is why I want to meet this man. He's a damn genius!

- Oh hell yeah, the game comes out in LESS than 3 months. Can not wait! Killer!

- We get a cool outro of everyone loving Mario for 30 years. No love for Luigi? I may have to change that. Must get the cameras rolling.

That's Nintendo's Direct Show. Of course the Treehouse Live will show off more, including voice chat coming to Wii U.

I thought that was great from top to bottom. Nintendo switched to these taped events a few years back and it's working wonders. The presentation was slick, we got a lot of game announcements as well as release windows. My takeaways:

- Everything they showed looked fucking awesome!

Seriously, I have interest in just about every single thing they showed. From StarFox to Super Mario Maker. All the 3DS games looked great, Xenoblade is something I can't wait for, Fire Emblem makes me really want to go back and play more of the last game, Animal Crossing on 3DS looks adorable, Woolly World is so adorable I might actually die, and I need that giant Amiibo.

Well done Nintendo!

One more conference to go, stay tuned for Square Enix.

No comments:

Post a Comment