Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Awesome Video Game Music: Guile's Theme - Street Fighter II

When one talks about the Street Fighter series, they usually end up talking about how the game they either played first or remembered most was one of the Street Fighter II games. The one I remember playing most was Super Street Fighter II for the Sega Genesis, though I also own a SFII game for the SNES.

In order, it went:

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo

All had some variations, AI tweaks, balancing tweaks, new characters, etc.

Kinda crazy right? Well, they are basically doing the same thing now with Street Fighter IV and ALL its variations.

We can all agree on this though: No matter which version of SFII you played, you knew that the best theme in the game was for Guile.

So here it is: from Street Fighter II (released in arcades in February, 1991)

Guile's Theme!


Just soak it in, let the nostalgia flow. Go ahead and have your day get much more awesome because that's what this song does!

When you hear this song, you can't help but picture yourself flash kicking someone in the face. It can't be just me, right?

Thankfully no, it's not just me. Click this and see for yourself.

If you search hard enough on YouTube, you will find many more examples on how this theme goes with everything, here are a couple of my favorites:

Example #1 - Here

Example #2 - Here

Example #3 - Here

I could go on and on but I live by the "Rule of Three".

Obviously, it's hard to work on video game music, I can imagine it's especially hard to find a fitting song for a character/stage in a fighting game. Not only does it have to be catchy, it has to give the player that "kick-ass" feeling while they stay engaged in a fight. It takes a special kind of song to get a petition to make it our national anthem. No really, that happened.

Here we are, 23 years later and people still remember this song. Hell, the guy in the cubicle next me while I was typing this said, "Hey, I know that song". It is one of the most iconic songs in video game history.

(Ok, one more video) Look what I found:



If you need me, I will be crouched down for 2 seconds. You might want to back up a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment