Monday, April 7, 2014

YouTube Breakdown: Legend of Zelda Commercial

A while ago, I did a YouTube breakdown of a SEGA Channel infomercial, which was a fun (if not a little awkward) trip back through the video game wormhole. So, I figured I would do another breakdown, this one is an old NES commercial featuring The Legend of Zelda.

WARNING: You will be shaking your head...




Whew! Now while I have not been able to pinpoint the exact year this was made, I'm gonna assume it's 1986. Either way, lets dig into what we just witnessed.

- Yes I am going to comment on this Macklemore/Ed Grimly mashup. Believe me, we all see it and know it's coming.

- I mean seriously, gamers as a whole have been trying to fight this stereotype since the invention of video games and you pull this shit? Actually, if you give that kid black hair instead of blonde, he looks like my dad at that age....oh crap.

- Highwater pants?? They wouldn't get wet during the Great Flood of '93 here.

- Somehow I think inside the Nintendo newsletter (there's a flashback in and of itself) is the script.

(astonished, in monotone voice without breathing) Whoa nice graphics I'd like to get my hands on that game (breathe)

- Ha he pushed his glasses up in the traditional nerdy style, that's great, just add to the wedgie count.

- Why are these two even hanging out together? I'm guessing the "cool" guy went to jail and now has to do community service which involves being a friend to the friendless. Or maybe it's a commercial. You decide.

- "You mean you haven't played it yet?" No, Scooter, I've been seeing things like the sun, tits, and exercise, excuse me.

- That's not the Gold Cartridge of Zelda, Skeetch, this is why nobody likes you.

- :09 this is the best. We all remember seeing the opening screen to Zelda and the music that came with it, they managed to butcher BOTH here. No music and instead of "Press Start" we get:

The Legend of Zelda - The Legend of Zelda sold separately.

- You WHAT? Imagine buying the game, popping it in and seeing that, how confused would you be?

- Or that's just foreshadowing the concept of Paid Downloadable Content (gasp) you sneaky bastards!

- It's really rad? I really wish that word never came to be, though when we say it now it's kinda ok I guess.

- :11 We have all played Zelda and NOBODY has ever had their fingers and hands move like that, what does that view show anyone? "Buy this game if you never want to feel things with your fingers again".

- Here is the actual rhyme they put together for this commercial:

Its the Legend of Zelda and it's really rad, Those creatures from Ganon are pretty bad, Octoroks and Tektites, Leavers too. But with your help our hero pulls through. Ya, go Link, ya, get Zelda.

- Lets update this: courtesy of me :)

It's the Legend of Zelda, that's not so bad / it's actually from Hyrule, kid who looks like my blonde dad / Nobody remembers what the enemies were called / when I trip you in the hallway, I hope you have a nice fall. Ya, go Link, ya, get ya some!

- (Waiting for the applause to die down) Thank you, thank you.

- :14 Sit that close to me playing video games and you are getting elbowed. C'mon, personal space.

- Ha he did that glasses thing again...that's terrific, we're gonna saran wrap him to a pole right? Ok, good!

- :19 Nothing says "Excitement" quite like walking through a black room with two flames....no boss fight? no Triforce? 

-  Did I hear a "Weeky weeky" at the end of the rap? Huh...kinda cool.

- "Intense"? Yeah, for you I am sure a slight breeze is intense. This is your anthemThis is your idea of being an athlete, and This is your God! 

- Ok, that last part got kinda dark, so let's end on a humorous note:

"Your parents help you hook it up"

Perfect!

- See how far we've come? I needed my parents help to hook up a video game console but I get a call now whenever my Mom's iPad does something she finds "odd".

- "Legend of Zelda sold separately" OK I FUCKING GET IT! 

(Shaking my head) Told you!

No comments:

Post a Comment