Thursday, April 17, 2014

Awesome Video Game Music: Killer Instinct Theme

A while ago I posted one of the most iconic themes in all of fighting games with "Guile's Theme" from Street Fighter II. While it is a great piece of music, it reminded me of other fighting game music. As I booted up my Xbox One yesterday, today's idea was staring me in the face, and proceeded to Kombo the shit outta me...

I present today's entry into Awesome Video Game Music: from Killer Instinct (Released November 22nd, 2013 - Xbox One)

The "Killer Instinct Theme"



Yes! Just...yes! (I know it's around 25 minutes and it's the same loop over and over, but it sure beats constantly clicking replay, right?)

When people talk about fighting game theme songs, of course people are going to talk about Mortal Kombat. MK is such a big part of pop culture with its various movies and web series and presence in the arcades. Even non-gamers know what you are talking about when you mention MK.

However, Killer Instinct has always had a cult following. When KI was announced as an Xbox One launch title, people lost their minds. Sure, KI may not have been the BEST fighting game, but it had some stuff going for it and quickly made a fan base.

Enter the Xbox One, Double Helix, and the new Killer Instinct. This game is badass and the song leading you in to the fighting makes you feel badass. So much so that this is now my ringtone. If you call me and I don't pick up my phone right away, you'll know why.

In comparison, I found this video:


You can hear the progression from the original to the now. Even back when the original game was released, the song was awesome. It is really interesting to hear how "90's" the original themes were and how they could take that and revise it for modern times, and then do it so damn well.

Sometimes I have my Xbox on with Killer Instinct playing this song in the back while I play games on my PC.

While it may not "go with everything" the way "Guile's Theme" does, the theme to Killer Instinct still stands alone as the best intro music to any fighting game ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment