Monday, October 6, 2014

What I Think Of...Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS

The game Nintendo handheld fans have been looking forward to all year has finally been released outside of Japan, and after about 30 hours, 1000 K.O.s and several attempts to knock a sandbag into next week, I am ready to deliver my thoughts on the game that may end up setting my 3DS on fire with how long I've played it.


Up front, I will say this: There is just so much game here that I will be quick and to the point or else I will be writing this until the WiiU version comes out (which is still planned for this holiday from what I've been reading).
I'll start with addressing the concerns I had earlier when I posted THIS 

- Does the small screen end up hurting the game?

Having a 3DS XL definitely is the way to go here, while it is entirely playable and enjoyable with the normal 3DS, the bigger screen makes for a more enjoyable experience and if you are buying a 3DS for this game, go big! The game does a great job outlining the characters so they stand out from the background, and put red or blue outlines around them when playing team battles so you know who is who. I've had a couple times where I didn't know where I was, but that happens for me in Smash Bros normally anyway.  Also I attribute my hand cramping ordeal to the fact that I just have big hands. Believe me, the hand cramps were a lot worse while playing Kid Icarus: Uprising.

- Will the absence of a 2nd analog stick hinder the controls?

As it turns out, it was really easy for me to adjust to the quick charge attacks without a second stick. While that will change a bit when the console version is released, I've had no problem K.O.ing fools with 'Circle Pad + A'.

- The roster is incredible...ish

I still find there is an overabundance of characters I really don't have much reverence for, like Pokèmon and Fire Emblem characters. Sure, I enjoy those respective series, but I feel like there's a little overload. Though I understand why Nintendo did it this way. There are 49 characters in this game, you will find one or two or a handful that you really like, whether you are a fan of newer Nintendo, or (like me) still know where your original NES is, there are characters for all of us.

- The reported online lag

The only "with other people" matches I have played were local matches against my coworker in the next cubicle over, with no stuttering or lag to speak of there. The full-on Online mode, according to said coworker, can be non existent at times and downright horrendous other times. Hopefully this is just due to the extreme influx of new players and something (A) Nintendo can address or (B) will get better when players start moving on to other games to play. Another problem is that when you go into the "With Friends" option online, there is no invite. So you have to hope you have friends online and join their game, or host a match and hope your friends join you. Sure, you have many ways to communicate this outside the game, but it seems real inconvenient to not have this system IN the game. 

- The names of the games

....still dumb.


Alright, on to the new stuff:

- Smash Run Mode

The idea is sound, I just don't seem to enjoy it that much. The idea is that for 5 minutes you and your opponents run through a dungeon, killing enemies and collecting equipment and buffs to your stats, then competing in an ending event with those buffs. I find the dungeon part to be frustrating since you spend most of your time getting your ass handed to you by the enemies. It is quite difficult, I guess it kinda HAS to be for this to work fairly, but there are some enemies you just can't hit, including a massive helicopter-like enemy that comes out of nowhere and attacks. I do appreciate some of the random timed events to keep it fresh, but I spend most of my time getting hit or falling. Smash Bros controls work well for fighting, but not for platforming. The ending fight is pretty cool and a nice change of pace, since it either can be a traditional Smash Bros fight, or a contest to see who can race to the top or race to the finish. Some people are going to be way into this, and you do have to do this a few times to unlock various challenges, but I don't see me playing this mode as much as regular Smash.

- Challenges

Speaking of the challenges, I think this they are implemented really well here. These appeared in Brawl but I find it to be better utilized here. You go through a pretty easy panel of challenges, unlocking stages and trophies, then you unlock other panels with progressively harder challenges. These can range from "Play this mode for the first time" to "Play as this character this amount of times" and so on. This is a great incentive-based system that gets players trying all the aspects of the game and gives them that :carrot-on-a-stick".

- Classic Mode

Smash Bros for 3DS's single player mode got a bit of an overhaul from Brawl. Gone is the Subspace Emissary mode, leaving just the standard Classic Mode, where you fight several characters in succession and eventually dealing with Master Hand. This time, however, you get to choose one of 2 or 3 paths to go down, collecting coins and trophies while determining which character you will fight. Before the actual fight, a lottery-style wheel will spin, which will yield prizes like trophies, equipment, or more coins, and the amount of prizes you get is influenced by the intensity level (difficulty level) you set at the beginning. 2.0 is the standard setting, and if you want to go down to 1.0 or all the way up to 9.0, it does cost gold, and the prizes adjust with the level. It's a really neat system, and the lottery wheel gives plenty of reason to replay it over and over again.


- Global Smash Power

Along the way through your Smash career, you will be introduced to the GSP system. This is what Nintendo is using for a pseudo-leaderboard. In actuality, it's a reverse leaderboard in which the higher the number, the better you are. The number actually represents how many people you are ranked higher than. For example: right now my high score in Classic Mode is with Luigi and it is 372060 which gives me a GSP of 825224 which means my score is ranked higher than 825,223 other players. Yes, there are that many other players playing this game according to Nintendo. You get different GSP ratings for all the modes and all the characters, and it changes as more people beat or get beaten by your score. While it's a cool system, it just feels like "reverse leaderboard with an unnecessary name". Still cool to have it though.

- Other notes:

- With all the characters, Little Mac is still my go-to, even though his recovery is terrible (I may make a couple "Hero Spotlight" posts to get into what that means).

- Having a trophy shop to spend my gold on with a constantly changing inventory is a great addition.

- Being able to put your Mii in the game is awesome, especially since I have a pretty badass Abe Lincoln swordsman. Also, the ability to have custom versions of the stock fighters (adding stat changing equipment and unlocked special moves) adds even more depth, and is pretty awesome when the other Falcon Punch for Captain Falcon is a BIGGER FALCON!

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are someone who has never been into the Super Smash series before, this isn't going to change your mind, since this is more of what the fans of the series is used to. I have been a fan throughout the series' history and I can not put this game down. Yes, the online needs work and not every new mode is a "Smashing Success" (pun very much intended and apologized for), but this version gives us fans of the series even more of what we loved and gives us a lot of reasons to get excited for the WiiU release.

If you own a 3DS, you need this in your library, if you like Nintendo, you need this in your library, if you are reading this wondering if you should get this game....well, you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment